Skip to main content

The privilege of knowing and loving.

Out of all of the billions of people in this world…why you and why me? Why us?
Have you ever asked yourself those questions?

I have been thinking a ton of the people who are a part of my life.

It’s far too easy once someone is inside to forget all the itty bitty steps it took to get them there. The serendipity of meeting. The decision to connect. The dynamic of initial exchanges. The revealing of personal details. The observation of idiosyncrasies. The fighting. The making up. The shared laughs. The surrender of pride. Crossing the boundary into daily existence. The decision to ask a person to stay with you share a part of this lifetime. The realization that you don't ever want to be without them.

Friendship. Love. Connection in every form that it takes.

I don’t want to forget all of the reasons that human connections exist, especially the ones that are a part of me.

It is a complete privilege to know another human being on an intimate level. Think about how rare it truly is to let someone on the inside and how very few people in the world will ever be there.

We pass by so many people in our daily lives…this means that the ones we grow closer to are truly exceptional. They move in past the boundaries that so many people will never have the benefit of crossing.

I am so thankful for the people who have opened me up and who have opened up to me.
It is only through my exchange with others that I learn about myself, my needs, my values, my strengths and my weaknesses. It is only through my connections that I can even come close to understanding love.

I try to remember in every exchange that knowing someone isn’t a guarantee…it’s a choice and a blessing.

I am thankful for every person who has made my heart feel love and for every person who has let me love them in return.

My advice: Celebrate people. And tell them what they mean to you…too often we take for granted that they might know...and every person can benefit from hearing their importance every once in a while.

Comments

mo said…
I love this line:

"we pass by so many people in our daily lives...this means that the ones we grow closer to are truly exceptional."

beautiful entry, jamie. it is so representative of your heart and your love of human connection.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Cluck-a-doodle-dooooooooo.

Today I did it. Every morning I drive past a garden supply store on my way to work. And every morning I look at the rooster statue standing more than 5' tall in front of it and think, "I want a picture of him." And then I drive by. I'm either too late for work. Or just not in the mood. Or it's raining. Or I've got other things on my mind. In other words I'm full of excuses. I have spent more time reasoning myself out of taking that picture than it would have taken to just pull over and snap it. What changed today? The Details in the Fabric. It was recommended that I listen to this Jason Mraz song and pay attention to the lyrics. So, I did...and in listening I decided to stop paralyzing myself. To stop driving by just because I'm preoccupied or feeling lost. "Calm Down. Deep Breaths. And get yourself dressed. Instead of running around and pulling all of your threads. And breaking yourself up." And that's what I need to do. The way I&#

Friday Shootout - Reflections

Friday Shootout - Outdoor Food

Outdoor Happy Hour at one of Cleveland's treasures - The Great Lakes Brewing Company. We made it up there for Christmas in July to sample the Year's First public Christmas Ale on tap. It's dark, delicious and in this season 8% alcohol by content - or so that's what we were told anyways. Needless to say by the middle of my third I was feeling pretty "good". Enjoy a night of eating outdoors with me in Cleveland.