It seems to me that the people who take the most beautiful photographs are the ones that open themselves up to witnessing the most beautiful things.
Look longer. Breathe deeper. And realize that all that stands before you is a miracle of grand proportions. Frame it. Focus on it. And depress the shutter. Capture the beauty that exists everywhere. And, don't forget to share it.
Make yourself a witness every day of your life. And realize that you too are a part of the amazement.
A Poem I found in Oprah's magazine years ago that I tore out - recopied - shared - and kept. Because I love it.
Flying Home Written by Galway Kinnel
...Very likely she has always understood what I have slowly learned...
that love is hard that while many good things are easy, true love is not. because love is first of all a power, its own power, which continually must make its way forward from night into day, from transcending union always forward into difficult day.
And as the plane descends, it comes to me... that once the lover recognizes the other, knows for the first time what is most to be valued in another, from then on, love is very much like courage, perhaps it is courage, and even perhaps...only courage.
It's good practice to recognize the good in everything. It doesn't change the challenge of things, but it does slant the way you perceive things - and to me that's worth it.
Today I'm thankful for:
1. Being up early has allowed me to witness a world that starts long before I usually do. I saw at least two people over the age of 60 jogging before I even got to work. I’m grateful to have witnessed this.
2. I realize every day how lucky I am to experience deep meaningful love with the people in my life. I could talk about any number of people in a given moment and get tears in my eyes based purely out of love.
3. I’ve got a huge list of songs that I want to download all opened up to me because I agreed to push my boundaries and participate in a mix swap. Now I’m writing down song after song that I love and never heard before. It’s a great experience.
4. On a completely unexpected whim I allowed myself a few indulgences in the dress and accessory category. Among them is th…
I will always try to change a situation before I let it change me. That’s not to say that I’m inflexible, I will always be open to growth. However if I notice that something in my current reality has me feeling heavy, down or negative – I am going to change it, or at the very least my perception of it.
I want to say this gently, because it isn’t by any means meant to be a hard set of rules or a judgment…just something to consider. Admittedly, some circumstances in life put us in a place of prolonged struggle and we deal with those however we can for as long as we need to. Certain pains are outside of the reality of this post.
But what I want to say is this:
Venting is healthy. Dwelling is not. Especially when that dwelling starts to cast a heavy dark shadow over you that leaks out to everyone around you.
We aren’t always going to like to the situations that we find ourselves in. I’m certain of this. It’s hard to change. It’s hard to stretch our comfort zones. It’s hard when we feel co…
Do you ever just want to go backwards in time for a moment and recapture some of the past. I miss the people I was born into the same house with. I want an unplanned lock-in. A night to just be a family again.
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"
I’m in a space. A dainty little living room inside my head. Here I toss open the delicately patterned blinds, water the flowers, and gently fold a quilt over the back of the couch. Sunshine pours in and I throw myself back into the cushions. Mentally flipping through the pages of my life, I drift off to sleep. Here I will find rest. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Other things going on in my life…
1. I’m entering a writing contest with an essay and I’ve really had my head wrapped around making it right before shipping it off. I’d share it here, but that would disqualify me from entering it. 2. I’m not comfortable making mixes for people, but I’ve been trying to stretch my boundaries and I’ve taken on the making of one. For some people that may be a small task, for me it has been consuming. However, I am enjoying it thoroughly. 3. I’m just a bit emotionally exhausted and I’m taking a bit of time to collect myself. 4. I saw Julie and Julia and I’m completely in love with the mov…
I wanted to share this photograph that i took of my brother for my college photography class.
I was cleaning out my bedroom last night for approximately 3 hours...and uncovered so many things from my life during the end of highschool/beginning of college period.
I went through such a range of emotions looking through things, spending at least one hour allowing myself to mourn the past and all the parts of me that it kept for itself.
Nick and I were hip to hip for a lot of his growing up (and mine too). I'm just so proud of him and everything he's accomplished as an adult, but I also can't help but feel a little sad looking back and see how much time has gone by.
The moments in life pass us as quickly as they approach - it's so important that we give our all to the people we share our current moments with. The people that are standing in front of us letting us know that "This time with you matters. I'm here now because I want to be."
I've started a second blog on going green! Serendipitously today, the day after starting it, I won a Composter from Gaiam! Join my Seasoned Eats blog if you are interested in learning how to take every day circumstances and live them a little greener. I'm new to the learning as well... so we can start together! It's important. And each of us can make a difference. Of course I'll still be posting here as well! I love this blog - and my camera! Cheers!
Facebook is a treasure to me. I love it for connecting. However I have noticed that it opens doors for me to get rejected over my 17 year old failings at the age of 30.
The friend request that is ignored. The letter that goes unanswered. The apology not accepted, because "Jamie, I don't care about that anymore" which really means "Jamie, I don't care about you at all." And I know. It's logical. I get it. But it's rejection the same.
And some days my brain gets fixated on it and I can't figure out why.
It's like I want to keep hitting that "Request so-and-so as a friend" button, because surely they just didn't see it the first time. They can't still dislike me. They are friends with this person and that person...could I have been that worthless of an old connection?
The answer is a resounding "YES".
Sometimes we just are that something that other people don't have a need for. And that should be okay.