Skip to main content

Making Space

When I was younger I used Lent to make sacrifices of a personal nature, but ones that didn’t really have any true affect on me. I’d give up pop or make a promise not to gripe about something, but to be honest I never really felt a connection to my sacrifice.

Last year I modified my thinking during lent and tried to incorporate elements into my 40 days that would not only benefit me, but others as well.

Example. I gave up online shopping with one exception. If I found something I just “HAD” to purchase I promised myself that I’d give 5 items to goodwill. At the end of the Lent season I was really doing an exact tally, but I do know that six boxes of my things got delivered to the goodwill store near my house and I felt good about what the 40 days had added up to.

This year I’m going to continue to collect things around my home to give to goodwill, but I’m putting a slightly different spin on Lent for myself. I’m going to dedicate the next 40 days to clearing out space in my life in general and focusing more on the moment.

What does this mean? It means no texting while driving. It means no facebook at work before lunch and a maximum of three brief checks per day rather than having it open sporadically all day long. It means writing more in my blog and clearing out my mind. It means space to explore my thoughts again. It means taking some quiet time every day to reflect. And I've just decided that it is also going to mean keeping an active gratitude journal. I am going to list three specific things every day that I can be thankful for – taking time and clearing space to reflect on my days.

Lent isn’t for everyone, but I do think we’d all benefit from taking a little quiet time in our lives - especially away from the constant distraction of technology.

In what ways could you clear space for yourself and change the way you are living?

Comments

That's such a good idea. I have so many clothes that have just been waiting for me to take time to bring them to Goodwill, I really need to get on that!

Popular posts from this blog

Cluck-a-doodle-dooooooooo.

Today I did it. Every morning I drive past a garden supply store on my way to work. And every morning I look at the rooster statue standing more than 5' tall in front of it and think, "I want a picture of him." And then I drive by. I'm either too late for work. Or just not in the mood. Or it's raining. Or I've got other things on my mind. In other words I'm full of excuses. I have spent more time reasoning myself out of taking that picture than it would have taken to just pull over and snap it. What changed today? The Details in the Fabric. It was recommended that I listen to this Jason Mraz song and pay attention to the lyrics. So, I did...and in listening I decided to stop paralyzing myself. To stop driving by just because I'm preoccupied or feeling lost. "Calm Down. Deep Breaths. And get yourself dressed. Instead of running around and pulling all of your threads. And breaking yourself up." And that's what I need to do. The way I&#

Friday Shootout - Reflections

Friday Shootout - Outdoor Food

Outdoor Happy Hour at one of Cleveland's treasures - The Great Lakes Brewing Company. We made it up there for Christmas in July to sample the Year's First public Christmas Ale on tap. It's dark, delicious and in this season 8% alcohol by content - or so that's what we were told anyways. Needless to say by the middle of my third I was feeling pretty "good". Enjoy a night of eating outdoors with me in Cleveland.