Skip to main content

Negative Emotion. Overruled.


I’m up at all hours thinking. Contemplating life. Finding it takes me an extra 15 minutes to fall back to sleep once I’m awake, because some things are left unsettled in my mind.

During these hours I find myself circling around the concept of perception and attitude.

I’m realizing that we have the ability to paint our individual realities however it is we wish to see them.

We can feel in control, victimized, opportunistic, burned, fortunate or deflated – and I believe that the perspective we have is an absolute choice.

Things happen to all of us. Situations unfold and we react. Some things are solidly sad and unfortunate, but some of us choose to do positive and motivating things with them – and some of us choose the play the role of the affected. We have the absolute ability render ourselves powerless over what has “happened to us”. We can, if we want, forget to take responsibility for the role we play in our outcomes.

I’ve been playing both sides of this coin in some regards, but I will tell you this…as I become aware of the situations during which I’m allowing myself to feel like the affected person – I’m regaining control.

I’m confronting situations that I’m uncomfortable with and being settled by their outcomes – whatever they are. And I mean that.

I realize that I can only be the victim of things I let myself feel the victim of. I instantly regain personal power the moment I confront my demons, communicate honestly, and choose to be okay with any outcome.

I’ve been toting this quote around with me for years and it proves useful on a regular basis, “Let go of what is not for you and you will make room for what is.” I don’t know who wrote it, but it summarizes reality perfectly. If you hang on to anything that doesn’t belong in your life you are blocking potential space for something that would fit.

This statement applies to negative attitudes and emotions as well as people, habits and belief systems. Let go of them and make room for better ones.

Let go of fear and make room for self-empowerment and courage.

Let go of past definitions and notions and let things, relationships and people evolve into their new roles in your life. They are all valuable when they are what they should be.

Let change happen and don’t struggle against it. Embrace now and do it with a positive attitude. It changes everything.

Choose a good attitude or choose to dwell in the bad. You can’t do both.

Hold tight to what is present to you…and let things that have become distant or negative fall to the sides. You don’t need their distraction. It will only hold you back or motivate you for the wrong reasons.

How are you going to live your life? What do you want people to see in you? Do you want attention for the positive or the negative?

Choose and choose wisely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cluck-a-doodle-dooooooooo.

Today I did it. Every morning I drive past a garden supply store on my way to work. And every morning I look at the rooster statue standing more than 5' tall in front of it and think, "I want a picture of him." And then I drive by. I'm either too late for work. Or just not in the mood. Or it's raining. Or I've got other things on my mind. In other words I'm full of excuses. I have spent more time reasoning myself out of taking that picture than it would have taken to just pull over and snap it. What changed today? The Details in the Fabric. It was recommended that I listen to this Jason Mraz song and pay attention to the lyrics. So, I did...and in listening I decided to stop paralyzing myself. To stop driving by just because I'm preoccupied or feeling lost. "Calm Down. Deep Breaths. And get yourself dressed. Instead of running around and pulling all of your threads. And breaking yourself up." And that's what I need to do. The way I&#

Friday Shootout - Reflections

Friday Shootout - Outdoor Food

Outdoor Happy Hour at one of Cleveland's treasures - The Great Lakes Brewing Company. We made it up there for Christmas in July to sample the Year's First public Christmas Ale on tap. It's dark, delicious and in this season 8% alcohol by content - or so that's what we were told anyways. Needless to say by the middle of my third I was feeling pretty "good". Enjoy a night of eating outdoors with me in Cleveland.