Skip to main content

Positive

I haven't done one of these posts in a while, but today I got a little inspiration from the road and I'm posting.

Life is a constant stream of events and those events come with choices. The biggest choice being the one dealing with attitude.

Some things are easy. They go well, lift you ten feet off the ground emotionally and you go through the moment naturally elated.

Other things are a bit more complex. Things don't go the way you wanted them to, they present a set of challenges, or flat out slap you across the face with a completely unexpected/unwanted outcome. Andeven at these times, though less natural, a positive attitude is still possible.

I've been listening to Randy Pausch's book about his Last Lecture and in it he repeats, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

It's true and representative of a larger notion. There is always a positive to be found. It just requires training your brain to find it - to look for it.

I truly believe that most of the time you'll find whatever you are looking for. So if you focus on bad things you will see only bad, but if you look for the good and keep a positive frame of mind - positive aspects will start coming your way.

Look at "bad" and difficult things in your life and figure out how you can grow from them or how they could later benefit you. Find the experience, the lesson, the unexpected positives.

It's no different than taking a good photo of a scene or an object that a million people would never see beautifully - or would simply walk by and never take a second glance at at all. You've got to frame and reframe until things look the way you want them to.

So, reposition events in your mind until you see what you need to see. Look at them harder. Turn them over. Tilt them. Flip them around.

And, find the positive. (It's always there for the taking!)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cluck-a-doodle-dooooooooo.

Today I did it. Every morning I drive past a garden supply store on my way to work. And every morning I look at the rooster statue standing more than 5' tall in front of it and think, "I want a picture of him." And then I drive by. I'm either too late for work. Or just not in the mood. Or it's raining. Or I've got other things on my mind. In other words I'm full of excuses. I have spent more time reasoning myself out of taking that picture than it would have taken to just pull over and snap it. What changed today? The Details in the Fabric. It was recommended that I listen to this Jason Mraz song and pay attention to the lyrics. So, I did...and in listening I decided to stop paralyzing myself. To stop driving by just because I'm preoccupied or feeling lost. "Calm Down. Deep Breaths. And get yourself dressed. Instead of running around and pulling all of your threads. And breaking yourself up." And that's what I need to do. The way I&#

Friday Shootout - Reflections

Friday Shootout - Outdoor Food

Outdoor Happy Hour at one of Cleveland's treasures - The Great Lakes Brewing Company. We made it up there for Christmas in July to sample the Year's First public Christmas Ale on tap. It's dark, delicious and in this season 8% alcohol by content - or so that's what we were told anyways. Needless to say by the middle of my third I was feeling pretty "good". Enjoy a night of eating outdoors with me in Cleveland.