Skip to main content

Beating the Bleus


It is said over and over again (and most often taken with a grain of salt as we try to push through one event in life to get to the next), but it’s true – “the beauty resides in taking notice of the little things.”

I was with Serenity last night. After dinner she was taking time to teach me a little bit of the Spanish and French she’s learned at the ripe old age of 6. She pushes the words out with a cute little accent and a burst of confidence that makes them sound just so.

Me, on the other hand, well I’m completely hopeless. And that was enough to end my night on just the right note that it has carried me happily into today, buffering my attitude towards the small challenges I’ve run into already this morning.

The notion of me being unable to tell her what my favorite color was in Spanish without jumbling the syllables or accidentally sneaking in a French “bleu” had her tickled.

“Okay, just say it one more time Mamie,” she was giggling. “You keep saying it in French when we are speaking Spanish.

So I’d say it again…exaggerating my mistakes for the sake of prolonging her laughter.

I watched her face carefully while she was laughing. And the whole time I drove home I was thinking, “that is what life is about, really noticing the moment.”

And because I did really notice, I can still see her laughter in my mind. I’m smiling just thinking about it.

It was one of the prettiest things I’ve ever witnessed.

Comments

GingerV said…
and now I'm smiling thinking about it. we do get so wrapped up in the big things that we forget the joy in the little. very nice blog
Anonymous said…
Like Ginger, I am smiling as I read the story! That is such a lovely reminder of the simple things, but also of how as children, joy and laughter lie at the surface, ready to burst forth at any moment. As adults, we lose that somehow - I want to regain it. Lovely story.

And thank you for the tea bag message! You are a doll.

Popular posts from this blog

Cluck-a-doodle-dooooooooo.

Today I did it. Every morning I drive past a garden supply store on my way to work. And every morning I look at the rooster statue standing more than 5' tall in front of it and think, "I want a picture of him." And then I drive by. I'm either too late for work. Or just not in the mood. Or it's raining. Or I've got other things on my mind. In other words I'm full of excuses. I have spent more time reasoning myself out of taking that picture than it would have taken to just pull over and snap it. What changed today? The Details in the Fabric. It was recommended that I listen to this Jason Mraz song and pay attention to the lyrics. So, I did...and in listening I decided to stop paralyzing myself. To stop driving by just because I'm preoccupied or feeling lost. "Calm Down. Deep Breaths. And get yourself dressed. Instead of running around and pulling all of your threads. And breaking yourself up." And that's what I need to do. The way I&#

Friday Shootout - Reflections

Friday Shoot-Out

I decided to participate in a blog group Friday Shoot-Out. There's a weekly topic...then you just photograph it how you want and Ta-Da you are in. This week's theme - Colors of the Rainbow. Here's my lil contribution. Barking Spider Photos: West Side Market: