Skip to main content

This one, This one


There’s this scent that I want to purchase. It’s magnetizing, deep, fresh, and $46 per 1/8 of an ounce. I’ve been debating the purchase for almost a week now. I’ve been to the boutique where I found it twice now to try it on, let it mingle with my body chemistry. And we've got it, me and Moonstone, that thing that makes the air tingle pleasantly and dance right up to the nose.

For some reason the price doesn’t seem to be enough to deter me from my longing.

Yet, for such a relatively small purchase, I’m putting more time into debating than I did my car.

A friend suggested that I buy the scent and only wear it on “special occasions.”

I got to thinking about the meaning of that. To me every day seems like a special occasion in some ways. I’ve had plenty of things that I’ve stored away waiting for the “right time” the “special occasion”. Years later I dig them out of the box and can hardly remember what I was waiting for. I can't figure out what would have jumped out at me and said "hey I'm here, the good enough reason you were waiting for." And time passed. And little treasures were buried for nothing.

The truth is that every day can be an occasion if you make that your frame of mind. There is always something to celebrate. It’s always the right time to be good to yourself. It is always the right time to cherish the people around you.

If you save everything for an occasion that someone else denotes as special you’ll be doing a lot of waiting – and a lot of missing out on the reality that life is pretty darn special as is.

There are days that I wake up and go to breakfast nearly in my Pjs that feel more special than a big dress up dinner. It’s all perspective.

“What opportunities did we allow to flow by Feeling like the timing wasn't quite right? What kind of magic might have worked if we had stayed calm,
Couldn't I have given you a better life?

Did you ever take me in your arms, Look me in the eye, tell me that you do?
Did I ever open up my heart, Let you look inside?

If I never did it, I was only waiting For a better moment that didn't come.
There never could be a better moment than this one, this one.”
Paul McCartney, This One

Make this one your special moment. The time is only what you make of it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jamie, I know exactly what you are talking about! I used to do the same thing - treat myself to a small "luxury," and then hide it away. By the time it was rediscovered, it was outdated/stale/no longer appealing. Now I live by, if you haven't used it in 6 months, throw it out! And life is short - believe me! Treat yourself from time to time because we don't know what tomorrow brings.
court said…
Aww, I like this one. Back to positive posts! :)

I've never felt more alive than I do now.
mo said…
This post is refreshing AND rejuvinating...it's you, the way the chemistry of the scent is you.

Go for it, love! I am all for the scent!

:)
Vitamin B-Lardo said…
I bought the scent and booked a massage for Thursday after kickboxing!!!!!!
court said…
And there's the photo!!! Whoo hoo!

You should wear the scent WHILE kickboxing!! Talk about not waiting for a special occasion.

Popular posts from this blog

Cluck-a-doodle-dooooooooo.

Today I did it. Every morning I drive past a garden supply store on my way to work. And every morning I look at the rooster statue standing more than 5' tall in front of it and think, "I want a picture of him." And then I drive by. I'm either too late for work. Or just not in the mood. Or it's raining. Or I've got other things on my mind. In other words I'm full of excuses. I have spent more time reasoning myself out of taking that picture than it would have taken to just pull over and snap it. What changed today? The Details in the Fabric. It was recommended that I listen to this Jason Mraz song and pay attention to the lyrics. So, I did...and in listening I decided to stop paralyzing myself. To stop driving by just because I'm preoccupied or feeling lost. "Calm Down. Deep Breaths. And get yourself dressed. Instead of running around and pulling all of your threads. And breaking yourself up." And that's what I need to do. The way I&#

Friday Shootout - Reflections

Friday Shoot-Out

I decided to participate in a blog group Friday Shoot-Out. There's a weekly topic...then you just photograph it how you want and Ta-Da you are in. This week's theme - Colors of the Rainbow. Here's my lil contribution. Barking Spider Photos: West Side Market: